If the gall bladder hurts, then a person knows by the characteristic localization of pain, where is his anatomical place. Not all people are correctly oriented and familiar with the biliary system, which includes the gallbladder and ducts.
This small organ accumulates bile synthesized in the liver, excretes it into the intestines and, thus, is involved in digestion. Pain in the gallbladder is an abnormal phenomenon. Symptom indicates a pathology caused by various diseases. To find out why the gallbladder hurts, it is necessary to recall its structure and tasks.
Features of the structure and functioning
The primary bile ducts are located in the center of the hepatic lobules along with the vessels. They collect synthesized bile in a storage place - a pear-shaped hollow formation, a bubble (lies under the lower surface of the liver). The organ is able to hold up to 70 ml of secretion.
The wall of the bubble is quite thin, but has layers:
- mucous membrane - from epithelial cells,
- muscle - formed by circular muscle fibers,
- serous - the most external for external protection.
Projected in the region of the anterior abdominal wall to the right hypochondrium. The inner shell contains glands. Their function is to produce mucus, the hormone anticholecystokinin, the absorption of water, salts, amino acids from bile.
In the bubble, bile is not only stored, but also brought to the necessary state in viscosity, composition. In addition to water, it includes mucus, bile acids, proteins and amino acids, bilirubin, inorganic substances, cholesterol, phospholipids, vitamins.
The bile duct carries bile into the duodenum. It opens next to the pancreatic duct in a place called the sphincter of Oddi. Contraction of the bladder and release of contents occurs simultaneously with pancreatic secretion when food enters the intestines.
Bile performs important functions:
- neutralizes the acidity of gastric juice,
- protects the intestinal mucosa from the multiplication of pathogenic microorganisms,
- stimulates the functioning of enzyme systems necessary for proper digestion,
- activates peristalsis,
- helps to eliminate toxins and toxic substances.
The main causes of bladder pathology
In humans, the main problems of gallbladder pain are determined by infection and stagnation of the contents with overstretching of the walls. These causes are exacerbated and form a vicious circle: with stagnation of bile, favorable conditions for pathogenic microorganisms are created, and inflammation changes the composition, viscosity of bile and contributes to congestive phenomena.
- directly from the intestine (parasites, pathogenic strain of E. coli, helminths),
- from the liver - with hepatitis, abscess, echinococcosis,
- with blood during the spread of infection from untreated chronic foci (in men more often - prostatitis, sinusitis, in women - adnexitis, tonsillitis).
Predisposing factors include:
- obesity - violates the composition of bile, causing an increase in cholesterol concentration,
- hormonal disorders - it has been found that sex hormones affect cholesterol excretion; a decrease in activity during menopause contributes to gallbladder disease.
Provoking reasons may be:
- irregular meals with long breaks, followed by overeating,
- the use of hungry diets for weight loss,
- high blood cholesterol in the elderly,
- structural anomalies (deformation, kinks, curvature),
- metabolic disorder in diabetes,
- diseases of the pancreas and liver,
- functional disturbances in the coordination of contractions in diseases of the nervous system.
Importance is attached to: professional contact with toxic substances in the chemical industry, low physical activity, chronic intestinal atony, stress, prolonged use of certain drugs (Octreotide, Clofibrate, Ceftriaxone), diuretic drugs, statins, oral contraceptives.
The gall bladder is designed to accumulate, store and eject bile as needed. It is located in the abdominal cavity, in the right hypochondrium. Normally, the organ should not be felt.
Pain with inflammation of the gallbladder is usually accompanied by its increase. The organ can be easily palpated.
There is an opinion that the gall bladder is not needed by modern man. It was necessary in ancient times, when people ate irregularly, a supply of bile helped them digest heavy food after a successful hunt. But nutritionists and doctors are sure that the gallbladder is an organ that is necessary and useful, but only if it is healthy and copes with its functions. In the event that the gallbladder is filled with pus and stones, then it should be removed, otherwise serious life-threatening complications may arise.
A person can lead a normal lifestyle even after removing the gallbladder. The bile ducts take on its function, they can change their volume and accumulate bile in themselves, as well as secrete it at the right time in the intestine.
How does the gall bladder hurt?
When a person has a gall bladder, the symptoms may include the following: pain of varying intensity in the right hypochondrium, indigestion, nausea and vomiting, belching with an unpleasant aftertaste. With hepatic and biliary colic, the pain can be so severe that the patient can even scream. Basically, it occurs suddenly due to blockage of the ducts with stone. In humans, colic is usually accompanied by vomiting and a sharp increase in temperature. The attack can last up to several hours, the patient needs immediate hospitalization.
Pain can also occur with the inflammatory process in the organ or the presence of neoplasms in it. But in this case, it will not be pronounced, the pain is usually dull and not paroxysmal. As a rule, it occurs about two hours after a plentiful feast. It is necessary to worry if the above signs in a person have ended in an attack of colic. An elevated temperature usually indicates that the gallbladder has become inflamed.
Why does the gall bladder hurt?
The most common reason that gallbladder disorders may occur is biliary dyskinesia. The fact is that the muscles of the gallbladder must ensure the uninterrupted movement of bile. Improper nutrition, stress, digestive diseases, helminthic invasion, infections and allergic reactions - all these factors can lead to failure, and then dyskinesia occurs.
- aching pains in the right hypochondrium,
Gallstone disease is a common complication of dyskinesia. Due to the violation of the outflow of bile stones are formed, they lie still and rarely make themselves felt. But if there is a blockage with a stone of the bile duct, then a person has strong pain and other signs of bile colic.
Sometimes a malignant tumor may mask as a cholelithiasis. Oncology is an insidious disease that does not appear for a long time, and as soon as the patient has characteristic symptoms, for example, a palpable tumor, weight loss and anemia, it is too late to treat this disease, since the malignant process has spread throughout the body or even went beyond limits.
Chronic and acute cholecystitis
Cholecystitis is often the result of malnutrition, abuse of fried, fatty and smoked foods and alcohol, as well as overeating. The disease can be both acute and chronic. Acute cholecystitis is mainly a consequence of cholelithiasis and occurs when the bile duct is blocked. Symptoms in this case are pronounced, namely: severe pain, high fever and vomiting. In this case, the patient needs immediate medical attention.
Chronic cholecystitis develops gradually, may not manifest itself for a long time. Symptoms may appear several hours after eating or exercising. The patient usually has aching pain in the gallbladder, which can give into the shoulder blades in the neck and neck, in addition, there is a metallic taste in the mouth, as well as belching, nausea and indigestion. Insomnia and irritability are also possible.
Gallstone disease is characterized by the presence of stones in the organ. This disease is quite common, mainly women over 40 years old suffer from it. The disease occurs due to stagnation of bile in the body and due to metabolic disorders.
The following factors can provoke it:
- Impaired diet,
- Sedentary lifestyle,
- Taking hormones
- Pancreatic disease.
Basically, cholelithiasis is asymptomatic, but if the stone got into the bile ducts, then pronounced signs appear. With a small size, the stone can independently come out with feces, but if it is stuck, then most likely it will require surgical intervention.
Biliary dyskinesia occurs due to a violation of the outflow of bile. Usually, patients have either too much contraction of the gallbladder, or vice versa, insufficient. Because of this, an insufficient amount of bile enters the intestine, as a result of which the patient has an indigestion.
This disease is 10 times more common in women than in men. If the disease is detected on time, then with proper treatment, the prognosis is usually favorable.
Other types of diseases
Diseases of the gallbladder are pathological conditions, the basis of which is a violation of the ability of an organ in a normal volume to remove bile, which is necessary for digestion. Causes of gallbladder pain are usually associated with blockage and pain in the bile ducts, inflammation, and tumors.
Specialists distinguish several more groups of diseases that occur during the development of dysfunctional disorders of the biliary tract and gall bladder:
- Postcholecystectomy syndrome. This pathology occurs after resection of the gallbladder. The development of the disease can be promoted by calculi remaining in the bile ducts, the narrowness of the duct itself at the confluence of the duodenum, gastritis, pancreatitis, inflammation of the small intestine and duodenum.
- Benign and malignant pathologies of the gallbladder (polyps, oncology). These are serious neoplasms in the gallbladder that must be removed surgically. They appear as a result of gallstone disease and age characteristics of the patient.
Each disease of the gallbladder, the symptom of which is pain, has its own signs and symptoms.
Symptoms of dyskinesia:
- pains cramping and aching in the right hypochondrium,
- chronic fatigue,
- impaired sleep and appetite,
- deterioration of sexual function,
- apathy, depression.
- periodic hepatic colic,
- pain in the right hypochondrium, extending to the right shoulder and shoulder blade,
- nausea, vomiting.
Symptoms of acute cholecystitis:
- pronounced pain syndrome,
- jaundice sometimes develops.
Symptoms of gallstone disease:
- acute attacks of biliary and hepatic colic,
- nausea, vomiting,
- stool discoloration
- dark urine
- bitterness in the mouth
Symptoms of postcholecystectomy syndrome:
- girdle pain in both the right and left hypochondrium, as well as in the epigastric,
- nausea, vomiting,
- gas formation
- stool problems.
- signs of chronic cholecystitis,
- dramatic weight loss
- pain in the right hypochondrium.
What to do with pain in the gallbladder?
Treatment of pain in the gallbladder consists in the appointment of drug treatment with additional ultrasound monitoring of the state of the abdominal organs. How to relieve pain in the gallbladder?
- prescribing antispasmodic, antimicrobial, choleretic and anthelmintic drugs and herbal preparations,
- strict fractional diet with the obligatory use of mineral waters,
- lavage of the bile ducts (tubage) with salts, sorbitol and magnesia,
- physiotherapeutic effect: laser and acupuncture.
Gallstone disease is treated by chemical and ultrasonic grinding and dissolution of stones in the gallbladder. These gentle non-surgical methods are used only if the disease is not started, and the size of the stones is not more than 20 mm. Otherwise, an operation is performed, as a result of which the gallbladder is removed in full. Read more about the procedure for crushing stones in the gallbladder →
If the gall bladder hurts in a person, it is necessary to treat this condition in a timely manner, since dangerous complications are possible. That is why it is necessary to be examined from time to time, especially to people at risk: pregnant women, people leading the wrong lifestyle, and also those who suffer from chronic diseases of the digestive system. The sooner doctors diagnose the disease and prescribe treatment, the greater the patient's chances of recovery.
Causes of Gallbladder Pain
Pain in diseases of the gallbladder almost always bothers for one of two reasons: gallstones or cholecystitis. The stones that form in the gallbladder vary in size from a millimeter to several centimeters. Gallstones are usually composed of cholesterol or bilirubin.
Cholecystitis is an inflammation of the gallbladder. Although cholecystitis is most often caused by gallstones, there are other, less common, causes of pain. It can be pain in the heart (angina pectoris or heart attack due to ischemia (decreased blood flow in the heart).
Why can the causes of gall pain be misidentified?
Pain in the gallbladder and in the heart, although caused by two very different processes, can be very similar. So, they can be confused during the diagnosis. The fact is that sometimes heart pain can be felt in the middle of the upper abdomen, and biliary colic can be felt in the chest, where the heart is located. Pain in the gallbladder and pain in the heart can also give the same symptoms - nausea and vomiting. Thus, any patient with pain with typical biliary colic must necessarily undergo an electrocardiogram to exclude the possibility of coronary heart disease.
Cholecystitis as a cause of pain in the gallbladder
Cholecystitis can occur as a complication of prolonged obstruction of the ducts of the gallbladder. This happens when biliary inflammation develops as a result of a bacterial infection. If this condition leads to a sudden obstruction of the ducts, it can begin as biliary colic. Less often, cholecystitis can develop without pain, which is a typical symptom of biliary colic, especially in situations where the main cause of the disease may not be gallstones, but inflammation or infection of the gall. For example, stoneless cholecystitis, vasculitis, etc.
Symptoms of pain in the gallbladder with various diseases
Pain in the gallbladder with cholecystitis is different from pain with biliary colic. It is felt in the same region of the abdomen and constantly, but the cause of the pain is inflammation of the ducts. Pain can be aggravated by shaking, for example, when a person jumps. Then the person tries to lie down so that the pain in the bile subsides.Other signs of gallbladder inflammation can be soreness in the upper right abdomen (although this can occur when the gallbladder is stretched without inflammation) and fever.
The complexity of diagnosing the state of the gallbladder with the formation of stones
Few people know that 70-80% of people with gallstones never know, they have them. These are the so-called "silent stones in the gallbladder." There are more and more people who do not know what is going on in their body. These numbers are constantly growing. The development of “silent” stones in the gallbladder causes attacks of pain in the gallbladder in 1% of cases per year.
Stones tend to get stuck in the bile ducts leading from the gallbladder or liver. When gallstones enter the ducts, they lead to a certain type of pain called biliary colic. If there is a suspicion of biliary colic, it is necessary to conduct a test to diagnose stones in the gallbladder, first of all, to do an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity.
In approximately 5% of cases, ultrasound can not show the presence of stones in the gallbladder. In such situations, if the symptoms of biliary colic are typical, doctors will conduct other, more complex tests to diagnose gallstones, in particular, endoscopic ultrasound.
Most stones in the gallbladder do not cause pain, and often with ultrasound of the abdominal cavity they are detected by accident. If the symptoms of gall pain are not atypical for biliary colic, it is unlikely that the pain is caused by gallstones. This is important to understand because surgery to remove gallstones is unlikely to alleviate these symptoms.
What are the features of gallbladder pain?
The term "biliary colic" for pain in the gall bladder is not always harsh. Colic is a pain that comes and goes abruptly. With biliary colic, pain does not come or go. Their intensity may fluctuate over time, but this pain does not disappear. This is a constant pain. It appears quite suddenly, or a person begins to have intense pain - or the intensity of the pain accumulates and quickly reaches a peak.
Symptoms of pain with biliary colic
The pain in the gallbladder with biliary colic remains constant (although it may fluctuate in the strength of the attacks), and then gradually disappears. The duration of this pain is from 15 minutes to several hours. If the pain lasts less than 15 minutes, it is unlikely to be caused by stones in the gallbladder. If the pain lasts longer than several hours, it is either not biliary colic, or cholelithiasis has already led to complications, for example, cholecystitis.
- Pain with biliary colic is usually very severe.
- With movements, pain in the gallbladder does not increase, since movements do not affect the extension of the ducts of the gallbladder.
- Pain with biliary colic is most severe in the middle of the upper abdomen (epigastric region).
- The right upper abdomen, where the gallbladder is located, can be another place of severe pain.
Other less common areas of pain for problems in the gallbladder are the most intense pain in the left upper abdomen, less often in the lower abdomen.
For unknown reasons, pain in the gallbladder can give off to other areas of the body, for example, to the right shoulder or right shoulder blade.
Biliary colic occurs mainly after eating (a common point of view that is not always true). Biliary colic most often occurs in the evening or at night, and then a person wakes up. During eating, biliary colic is extremely rare.
Biliary colic is a constant problem, but it occurs less often than once a month.
What are the common symptoms of gallbladder pain?
The most common symptom that accompanies biliary colic is nausea with or without vomiting. Vomiting does not relieve pain. Other non-specific symptoms are caused by the body's response to pain: increased sweating, weakness, dizziness, and shortness of breath. It can also be severe pain in the lower abdomen, bloating and belching, diarrhea.
When should I see a doctor if you have pain in the gallbladder?
Please note, if you have severe pain in the abdomen and this symptom is accompanied by chills, fever - then you should immediately consult a doctor. You need a consultation with a gastroenterologist in cases where you have noticed these symptoms.
- Pain - moderate to severe - on the right side of the chest
- Pain in the gallbladder may give back or to the right shoulder
- Severe, prolonged pain in the upper abdomen (biliary colic)
- Frequent abdominal pain at night
- Pain that occurs after overeating
- Abdominal pain after fatty foods
- Pain worsens with deep breathing
- Attacks of abdominal pain can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours
The nature of pain in pathologies of the gallbladder
Painful sensations appear after inflammation begins, stagnation of bile, impaired blood flow are observed. Initially, the pain is barely noticeable, more like discomfort, heaviness. As the disease progresses, it becomes cramping or constant. A person may experience dull pain, acute, strong, moderate, periodic constant. Unpleasant sensations intensify with a change in body position, weight lifting, after eating.
Diseases develop gradually, for a long time the clinical picture is mild, has similarities with other painful conditions - weakness, nausea, decreased performance, an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth. After a while, characteristic symptoms appear - pain in the right side under the rib. Gives to the back, shoulder blade, neck, lower back. There is a feeling that he was pulled tight by a corset, do not give the opportunity to breathe to the full chest.
It is by localizing the pain that one can determine where the gallbladder is located - under the right rib. If you put your hands, there is a seal. With inflammation, the organ increases in size. When involved in the pathological process of the liver, edema of this organ is also observed. Bloating occurs, and palpation on the right side becomes painful.
Gallbladder disease: a brief description
- Biliary dyskinesia. This condition develops as a result of impaired bile outflow from the liver. It occurs when the patient has gastritis, stomach ulcers, as well as with frequent neuroses. Soreness in the gallbladder, the signs of which are manifested in the form of pain under the ribs, in digestive disorders.
- Protracted cholecystitis. This condition proceeds in parallel with a prolonged inflammatory process in the inner wall of this organ. This condition can be provoked by the reverse casting of bile, its stagnation, infection, as well as diseases such as pancreatitis and viral hepatitis.
- Crayfish. It occurs as a result of prolonged inflammation. Malignant formations begin to form; they can spread to organs located next to the gallbladder.
When the gallbladder hurts: what are the symptoms
How to determine what exactly gall bladder hurts. This will require combining all the symptoms, because often the pain of one organ is given to where it is not located. For various disorders, the placement and nature of the pain varies.
If the patient has cholelithiasis, such symptoms occur - pain occurs in the right side of the abdomen, it is sharp, strong, and may have a short paroxysmal character. Sometimes the pain gives to the back, left shoulder blade, to the shoulder.
If cholecystitis has a chronic course, then the patient often has pain, which becomes even stronger after eating fried and spicy dishes, after drinking any soda, alcohol. The patient feels pain in the right hypochondrium.
If the patient has a disease such as biliary dyskinesia, then he has a sharp, acute pain that is paroxysmal in nature. The pain lasts about 30 minutes. Also, the patient may feel a feeling of heaviness in his right side. Soreness can spread to the spinal muscles, to the right shoulder, to the entire left side.
In the acute form of cholangitis, the patient feels severe pain in the right side of the abdomen. It can be given to similar parts of the body that were indicated for other diseases.
If cancer has developed, then the pains are muffled, dull in nature. They do not subside with the use of analgesic drugs. For a long time, such a condition can develop without any symptoms.
What signs arise if the gall bladder hurts?
In certain diseases, signs proceed in parallel with other internal or external manifestations. May occur:
- muscle tension in the peritoneum,
- the patient’s body temperature can increase significantly,
- itching of the skin,
- profuse sweating,
In addition, the following may occur:
- sudden weight loss
- shortness of breath during a long walk,
- nausea, vomiting,
- in the mouth a feeling of bitterness
- loss of appetite
- a sharp decrease in body weight,
- disorders of the stool.
What to do when the gall bladder hurts?
In the presence of pain, it is necessary to correctly establish the cause of the disease and note similar symptoms.
In no case can you do self-diagnosis, and even more so, self-treatment. You can only detect the first symptoms of a diseased organ, and then immediately go to the doctor for a diagnosis.
He will select the necessary treatment and prescribe the necessary medicines. Also, if there are problems with the gallbladder, it is recommended to abandon the use of junk food and adhere to a diet recommended by a doctor.
How to relieve pain in the gallbladder
If the pain is constant, but not acute, then it can be reduced by using certain drugs or other means. So, what are the ways to eliminate soreness in the gallbladder?
A warm but not hot heating pad should be applied to the stomach. Heat can reduce pain. To prevent body burns, it is recommended to lay a piece of cloth or a towel under the heating pad. You need to hold for about 20-30 minutes, and then wait until the abdominal cavity cools down.
In all citruses, pectin is one of the constituent components. It has an analgesic effect. This option will be especially useful when you need to clean the bile ducts.
You can also reduce soreness with some herbs. For such purposes, chicory, rosemary, calendula and St. John's wort are suitable. Infusions on overpowered herbs can have an even more powerful effect than pills.
How to get rid of pain for a longer time?
- Try to include a large number of vegetables in your daily diet. When eating foods of plant origin, you can reduce the number of bad cholesterol.
- the menu should have a minimum amount of fat and sugar. These components can provoke the development of stones.
- Drink plenty of water. It can delay bile, and this will reduce the manifestation of pain.
Gallbladder hurts: medication
The first thing you need to do is make an appointment with the doctor. Soreness under the right rib very often may not coincide with the present diagnosis. Be sure to consult a doctor, especially if you decide to start using any means, herbs or tablets.
You do not need to prescribe medications yourself, this can only be done by a doctor. Treating the house can ease the pain, but curing the disease at home still does not work. During therapy, the doctor may prescribe painkillers for those patients who experience severe pain.
Gallbladder hurts: what medications to take?
For proper therapy, you must go to the hospital. Recovery is possible only with the correct and timely diagnosis and the necessary treatment.
The following are the remedies that the doctor usually recommends taking to his patients in the presence of various disorders in the functioning of the biliary system:
- In acute cholangitis, antibiotic drugs with a wide spectrum of effects, heat-lowering drugs, digestive enzymes, antispasmodic drugs, and powerful analgesic drugs.
- With biliary dyskinesia - means that normalize the tone of the digestive tract, drugs that provide the withdrawal of bile, sedative drugs, some herbs, such as immortelle, arnica.
- With chronic cholecystitis - enzymes that improve the digestive system, antispasmodics, antibacterial agents with a wide range of effects. In the first week of therapy, it is important to observe bed rest.
Diet for the cure and prevention of digestive diseases
In order for therapy to be effective and correctly affect the body, it is important to ensure a diet for the normal recovery of the body after an illness. This is an important component, we can say an integral part of the treatment.
All nutrition is aimed at reducing the harmful effects of food on the functioning of the biliary system. Most importantly, you should abandon the use of products that are cooked by smoking and frying. It is recommended to eat stewed or steamed dishes.
The main directions of the diet:
- you need to eat at least 5 times a day, while servings should be small, do not allow hunger,
- a warm drink should be provided, green or black (not strong) tea is allowed, decoctions of rose hips, fresh juices,
- it is important that sour-milk and dairy products are present in the diet,
- you need to eat fish, lean meats,
- water-based vegetable soups
- also in the diet should be a lot of cereals and cereals.
What to do if the gall bladder constantly hurts?
If pain occurs regularly and constantly, then urgently need to run to the hospital and not pull. It is also necessary to change your diet for the duration of therapy. Some people even follow a certain diet even after treatment, reducing the risk of relapse.
- It is necessary to refuse fried, very fatty and spicy food. It is able to provoke the production of large quantities of bile, which harms the biliary system, liver and other digestive organs.
- Also on your menu should not be present flour products, sweets, chocolate. Its one plus of refusing these products is that you can lose weight and improve your own body. If a complex process of inflammation has developed in the peritoneum, then it is worth abandoning such vegetables as hot pepper, garlic and onions.
- It is recommended to include cereals and cereals in your menu. non-fatty meats, fish and steamed chicken will be useful. Eat lots of vegetables, fruits.
If you begin to notice the first signs of a malfunction of the biliary system or inflammation, then immediately make an appointment with the doctor. He will be able to diagnose diseases and prescribe adequate therapy.
What diseases of the biliary system are accompanied by pain?
Gallbladder pain is caused by:
- inflammatory process with cholecystitis and cholangitis,
- biliary dyskinesia (impaired contractility),
- cholelithiasis (the spelling "gallstone" is erroneous, which can be verified by the International Classification),
- malignant tumors.
All of these diseases disrupt the function of transporting bile, cause a malfunction of the digestive process. This is accompanied by similar symptoms, differing only in intensity and course.
Features of pain caused by pathology of the gallbladder
How the gall bladder hurts, the doctor will recognize by the characteristic distinguishing features. By the nature and intensity of the pain syndrome, the optimal treatment is chosen, the tone of the excretory tract is judged. In chronic inflammation, dyskinesia of the hypotonic type, the gallbladder hurts constantly.
Symptoms worsen after taking alcohol, fatty and fried foods, physical activity. The pain is localized in the right hypochondrium, can take a bursting character. It is not removed with antispasmodics.
If the inflammation is acute (cholecystitis) or the pain is caused by the movement of the stone, then the symptoms of pain in the gallbladder are manifested by a sudden intense cutting character radiating from the right hypochondrium to the side, back, up to the collarbone and shoulder.
Diagnosis is complicated by the ability of pains to become stronger on inhalation, as well as atypical irradiation into the region of the heart. Sometimes, instead of pain, patients feel a burning sensation in the right side.
Electrocardiography helps to distinguish whether pain can be caused by a spasm of the coronary vessels, and not by the gall bladder.
"Solar" syndrome in inflammation of the solar plexus occurs with severe burning pains in the epigastrium, around the navel, with irradiation in the back. On palpation, local muscle tension in the upper quadrant is determined on the right. With severe pain, patients try to take a bent position with knees pressed to the chest.
In addition to pain, when making a diagnosis, it is necessary to consider what general symptoms and digestive disorders accompany gallbladder pathology. Patients may have:
- high fever with chills (with acute cholecystitis), moderate increase in chronic course,
- nausea, belching, vomiting of bitterness,
- intestinal disorders (diarrhea or constipation),
- unpleasant bloating,
- lack of appetite,
- moderate weight loss
- dry mouth and bitterness
- itchy skin
- insomnia and increased irritability.
The disease proceeds in acute and chronic form, against the background of stones in the bladder (calculous cholecystitis) and without them. The connection with calculi is more typical for overweight middle-aged women, and the stoneless form is more often observed in men.
Examination in bile reveals:
- E. coli
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Acute cholecystitis occurs with typhoid fever and paratyphoid fever. Intense pain in the right hypochondrium with chills and fever indicates inflammation of the inner lining of the bladder. With successful treatment, the pain subsides. A transition to a chronic course is possible.
This causes constant dull pain, aggravated after an error in nutrition, physical activity. Gradually, the wall becomes thinner, replaced by scar tissue, and loses the ability to contract. Favorable conditions are created for the formation of stones, bedsores can break through the wall and enter the abdominal cavity.
The pulsating nature of the pain and constant high temperature indicate a possible gangrene of the bladder with subsequent necrosis and peritonitis. How much the gall bladder can hurt before a likely transition to gangrene and complications depends on the immunity of a particular person.
The disease is characteristic of people of a neurasthenic warehouse, children. Pain is associated with altered muscle tone of the gallbladder and ducts. Instead of the necessary reduction and excretion of bile into the intestine, relaxation occurs (hypokinetic form), an increase in volume, bursting pain.
And, on the contrary, a spasm suddenly interrupts the necessary relaxation (hyperkinetic option). In the first case, in addition to dull pain, the patient develops constipation, nausea, and vomiting. In the second - the main sign of cramping pains on the right in the hypochondrium. The type of disorder must be considered in therapy.
Isolated inflammation of the bile duct is rarely without cholecystitis. Most often observed as a complication of surgery after removal of the gallbladder filled with stones.
Types of cholangitis are determined by the reasons:
- obstructive - caused by a stone or other mechanical obstruction,
- bacterial - there is a clear dependence on inflammation,
- recurrent - wave-like course with frequent exacerbations,
- sclerosing - as a complication of inflammation.
The risk of gallbladder cancer is increasing in patients with prolonged inflammation. Most often histological types are revealed: squamous solid cancer, adenocarcinoma, mucous tumor.
A very high degree of malignancy, rapid spread of metastases, a tendency to germinate in neighboring organs is characteristic.
How to eliminate pain in the gallbladder?
To find out the causes of the pain, it is necessary to undergo an examination. By analysis of blood, urine and feces, it is possible to identify inflammation, a high level of bilirubin and cholesterol, a general malfunction in the digestive system.
The method of cholecystography with a contrasting substance shows well the anomalies of the structure, the shadow of calculi. Before prescribing medication, the doctor will advise you to follow a diet. Overweight people are recommended weekly fasting days.
- any fried dishes, sausages, fatty meat products (meat dishes must be boiled, steamed, stewed),
- fat rich broths of meat and fish,
- all types of alcohol
- carbonated drinks,
- spicy seasonings
- canned food, homemade pickles,
- cream cakes
The diet is built according to the scheme: 6 times a day, but in small portions. Nutritionists recommend: low-fat meat and fish dishes, cereals, drink weak green tea, rosehip broth (if fresh fruit juices, then diluted), low-fat dairy products.
You cannot take any drugs on your own. There are many contraindications. A specific choice can only be made by a specialist. With cholecystitis, antibiotics are necessarily prescribed. The best drugs are broad-spectrum drugs (Amoxiclav, Ceftriaxone, Moxifloxacin, Gatifloxacin).
They should be used in courses of 7-10 days, taking breaks is not advisable. They contribute to the development of sustainable flora. If parasites are detected, they can be prescribed: Furazolidone, Trichopolum, Chloxyl, Combantrine, Vermox, Fazizhin).
Spastic pains are relieved by injections of Atropine, Platifillin, No-shpa. Instead of injections, rectal suppositories with belladonna are recommended. In case of an attack of cholelithiasis, strong painkillers are used (Nalbufin, Ketanov, Promedol).
With the hypokinetic form of dyskinesia, cholecystokinetics are prescribed. In therapy, it is necessary to observe the correct regimen, taking sedatives of plant origin (tinctures of valerian, motherwort, Novopassit). Physiotherapist will select the most effective physiotherapy procedures - inductothermy, galvanic collar or diadynamic currents.
Whether it is necessary to do an operation will tell the course of the disease, the persistence of pain, the effectiveness of therapy. The question of the removal of the gallbladder according to emergency indications may arise with the purulent nature of the inflammation, the threat of peritonitis. In a planned manner, indications for removing stones with a bubble are discussed.
Most clinics abandoned lithotripsy (stone crushing) techniques. A negative effect on the surrounding tissue leads to a large number of complications. They try to remove the cancerous tumor as soon as possible, often with resection of a part of the liver and lymph nodes.
Patients undergo cytostatic therapy and radiation. The connection of the pathology of the gallbladder with the liver and pancreas involves the appointment of hepatoprotective drugs and enzymes.
Traditional medicine suggests using herbal decoctions to relieve pain. Recommended herbs with choleretic and anti-inflammatory effect:
- calendula and daisy flowers,
- corn silk,
- dandelion roots
- Fennel fruits.
The method of "blind sounding" is to take on an empty stomach a spoon of vegetable oil, Xylitol, Sorbit and maintain the position lying on the right side for about an hour. This helps to release the bubble from the accumulated bile, eliminate stagnation. There is advice: to empty the bladder after taking herbal tea, lie on your left side and beat yourself on the right hypochondrium.
Pain syndrome in diseases of the biliary organs requires establishing a connection with stones, a type of dyskinesia, and inflammation. It is recommended that patients deal with the treatment of chronic foci of infection. Even after removal of the bladder, it is necessary to adhere to a diet and take medication.
Features of pain caused by pathologies in women
The risk of developing gallbladder diseases in women after 40-45 years is increased. The reason is hormonal changes associated with menopause, as well as the presence of chronic inflammatory diseases. Overweight women are more susceptible to pathologies. In addition, often signs of biliary colic are observed in pregnant women, which is associated with stagnant processes, deformation of internal organs as the fetus grows, and hormonal changes. Pain can be of varying intensity, depending on the complexity of the disease.
Features of pain caused by pathologies in men
After 45 years, men, due to hormonal changes, as well as the result of malnutrition, abuse of alcoholic beverages, have problems with the gall bladder. Often, pathology is combined with diseases of the liver, pancreas. The pain appears periodically or aching right side constantly. The condition worsens after fatty, fried, spicy foods, as well as physical exertion.
Painful manifestations begin long before it gets sick on the right side.
The first signs:
- Sleep disturbance,
- Intolerance to fatty foods,
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Indigestion, stool,
- Reduced work capacity
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss,
- Drowsiness during the day.
If a person does not take any measures, the pathological process continues, characteristic symptoms of a sick gall bladder appear.
- Pain on the right side under the rib of different intensity,
- Bitter taste in the mouth
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Heaviness in the stomach,
- Increase in temperature,
- Bloating, flatulence.
In addition, arrhythmia, increased sweating, and a decrease in blood pressure are observed. After vomiting, relief does not occur. Painful symptoms can last a day or last several days. Symptoms vary, depending on how much the gall bladder is affected.
Pathological processes develop under the influence of internal, external factors. The cause of pain in the gallbladder is inflammation, impaired blood supply, stagnation of bile. All this happens when:
- Liver disease
- Viruses, infections, helminthic infestations,
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Congenital malformations
- Alcohol abuse
- Improper diet, violation of the regime,
- Neurological, endocrine disorders,
- Severe nervous stress,
- Long-term use of drugs.
Unpleasant sensations appear with the development of cholecystitis, cancer, dyskinesia, gallstone disease, poisoning with toxic substances.
The true cause of the disease has not been established. Neoplasms appear due to metabolic disturbances, accumulation of salts in the gallbladder. Initially, sand forms, then stones. There are different sizes, quantities. For a long time, a person may not know about them.
Pathological processes are asymptomatic. When the stone reaches a large size, it damages, injures the mucous membrane of the gallbladder, causing inflammation. Moreover, neoplasms disrupt the outflow of bile, lead to stagnant processes. In such cases, a person feels aching pain under the right rib, indigestion, stool, bitter taste in the mouth, and yellowness of the skin.
Especially dangerous is the situation when the stones fall into the ducts. Small pebbles are able to leave the body naturally, causing slight discomfort. Large neoplasms at the border with the small intestine are stuck. In this case, a person feels acute pain, a rapid deterioration in well-being. Emergency surgery required. Gallstone disease often provokes inflammation, so cholecystitis is observed in parallel.
Medical treatment, homeopathic, folk. With frequent relapses, as well as low effectiveness of therapy, an organ removal operation is performed.
Who to contact
If there are alarming symptoms, you should seek the help of a therapist. Initially, the specialist makes up the overall clinical picture. He asks why, when it all began, what factors contributed, according to the patient. And also finds out a lifestyle, eating habits, professional activities. A diseased organ is palpated, but the main goal is to find out the root cause. Since diseases of the gallbladder can be investigative, a consultation with a gastroenterologist and an examination of the digestive tract are prescribed. With a problem, you can contact a public, private clinic. The choice depends on individual preferences, financial capabilities, qualifications of specialists.
The main research method is ultrasound. View the gallbladder, liver, other organs of the abdominal cavity. The technique allows to identify an increase in size, anomalous structure, the presence of neoplasms, compaction, stagnant processes. To clarify the picture, an additional examination of MRI, CT can be prescribed. If cancer is suspected, a biopsy and laparoscopy are performed. In addition, if necessary, appoint fluoroscopy.
Be sure to take blood, urine, feces for analysis. A general blood test makes it possible to determine the presence of an inflammatory process. The biochemical assessment of the work of the pancreas, liver, the presence of antibodies to parasites, harmful microorganisms and much more. Urinalysis determines the functioning of the urinary organs. Analysis of feces makes it possible to evaluate the digestive tract.
The gall bladder is located in close proximity to the liver. Attacks of biliary, hepatic colic are identical, but the methods of treatment are different. If you have pain under the right rib, you do not need to do anything that can aggravate the condition. For example, with biliary colic, a warm bath, heating pad helps relieve spasm, but with cholecystitis, appendicitis, hepatitis, heat, such actions are contraindicated. The recommendation that you drink as much as possible non-carbonated mineral water is also dangerous. The liquid stimulates the outflow of bile, which is undesirable when blockages in the ducts, cholelithiasis.
Thus, all that needs to be done is to lay the patient on the right side and leave him alone. In case of severe pain, give antispasmodics or painkillers. As first-aid drugs, No-Shpa, papaverine, Meverin, Spazmolgon, Analgin, Paracetaml, Baralgin are allowed. Call an ambulance. Treatment is prescribed after diagnosis.
What to treat
Methods of therapy, funds are selected depending on the disease. With pain caused by the temporary influence of negative factors, it is enough to eliminate their effect, to remove the painful symptoms. In some cases, it is enough to go on a diet, normalize the diet, calm the nervous system.In the presence of various pathologies, the treatment is complex, prolonged. Use medicines, homeopathic, folk remedies. After the removal of painful symptoms, normalized physical activity is recommended.
- To eliminate inflammation, anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics are prescribed if a pathogenic microflora is found. Amikacin, Cefazolin, Amoxiclav are often recommended.
- To eliminate pain - Meverin, Papaverine, Drotaverin, No-Shpa, Spazmolgon, Paracetamol, Baralgin.
- From heartburn, belching, heaviness in the stomach - Maalox, Almagel, Fosfalugel, other antacids.
- To improve digestion - Domrid, Mezim, Creon, Pancreatin, Festal.
- From bloating, flatulence - Espumisan, Colicides.
- To remove toxins from the body - Enterol, Smecta, Enterosgel, Activated carbon.
- Cholagogue for the outflow of bile - Allohol, Digestal, Holosas, broth, rosehip syrup, Ursosan, Urolesan.
- From stagnant processes - decoctions of St. John's wort, Arnica, immortelle, elecampane, corn stigmas.
- With dyskinesia sedatives - tincture of valerian, glod, motherwort, Nova Passit.
- From high temperature antipyretic drugs - Ibuprofen, Nurofen, Paracetamol.
The duration of therapy is from 14 days to several months.
Surgical intervention is carried out if other methods do not give the desired therapeutic effect. The operation is indicated for cholelithiasis, if the stones are large in size or begin to move towards the ducts. The question is about the removal of the gallbladder. The procedure is carried out in two ways - cholecystectomy or classical abdominal surgery or laparoscopy through punctures in the abdominal cavity. After removing the bladder, you should adhere to a strict diet, lead a healthy lifestyle, take choleretic drugs. As a complication - diseases of the liver, pancreas, duodenum.
In some cases, a stone crushing operation is performed. In small grains, they leave the body naturally. Apply the method of shock wave lithotripsy. Surgical intervention is indicated for anomalies of the gallbladder, if it interferes with the normal functioning of the organ, causes severe painful manifestations.
Therapy and first aid
Treatment is carried out taking into account the disease and changes that have occurred in the body.
But there are some factors that are followed during any treatment of the gallbladder:
- Diet. In diseases of the biliary organ, food is limited, which affects the work of the bladder. Fatty meat, rich broths, spicy, smoked, fried foods are excluded. It is recommended to eat lean meat, fish, dairy products, vegetables, fruits. Eat at least five times in small portions, the last meal two hours before bedtime.
- Etiotropic therapy. Treatment aimed at eliminating the cause of pain. For this, medications or surgery can be used.
- Pathogenetic therapy. Treatment that allows you to restore the functioning of the body, reduce intoxication, improve digestion.
- Symptomatic Therapy The treatment is aimed at eliminating pain and discomfort.
Prior to this, in order to alleviate the condition, you can take some measures yourself:
- Warm heating pad. Helps to quickly relieve pain. It must be applied to the gallbladder with an interval of half an hour.
- Pills. Analgesics can also treat unpleasant symptoms. Anti-inflammatory drugs are good because they not only relieve pain, but also reduce organ inflammation. But tablets should be taken only after consulting a doctor.
- Vegetable juice. Mix the juice of cucumber, red beets and carrots in equal proportions. This folk method cannot be called instant help, but it is one of the methods of treating the bile-sparing organ in alternative medicine. If you make this mixture twice a day for two weeks, then it will help relieve pain and remove toxins from the body.
- Lemon. The use of juice from this fruit allows you to treat pain symptoms caused by stones and blocked ducts.
- Salty water. You will need to take a glass of warm water with a diluted spoon of salt at night.
- Castor compress. You will need to apply oil on a napkin and attach to a sore spot. You need to put a film and a warm heating pad on top.
There are many factors that negatively affect the digestive system. But people seek help only if the gallbladder hurts a lot. Manifestations and treatment depend on the cause of the pathology.
Medicine is not always able to solve the problems of the gallbladder, which means that it is not worth delaying going to the clinic. Regardless of what is considered the culprit of pain in the gallbladder, you still need to consult a doctor, you should not treat the disease yourself. Incorrect medications can seriously harm.