If the stomach hurts during menstruation and is sick, these are the symptoms of many gynecological pathologies. However, not everything is so scary. As practice shows, in most cases we are talking about a completely normal physiological phenomenon. However, in this case, it proceeds according to the classical scheme.
3-4 days before the start of the menstrual cycle, light aching pains begin in the uterus (in its projection, that is, the lower abdomen). They give to the sides, iliac region, external genitalia. This is normal. During menstruation, discomfort increases and reaches a peak on critical days. Then comes the gradual attenuation of the intensity of manifestation. If the pain syndrome is extremely intense, the more continues between menstruation, this is an occasion to beware.
Why does my stomach ache and feel sick before menstruation? It's all about desquamation and exfoliation of the functional layer of the endometrium. Its gradual separation occurs, which leads to nausea, abdominal pain.
In some cases, gynecological pathologies are masked under menstrual pain. Therefore, it is recommended to regularly undergo preventive examinations and consult a doctor at the first signs of discomfort.
When during menstruation the stomach hurts and is sick, it is necessary to look for the causes in various pathogenic processes. Gynecological diseases, accompanied by nausea and pain, are diverse, but in some cases we are talking about conditions that are not related to diseases. It is necessary to consider all factors in more detail.
Medical manipulations on the uterus. They are usually carried out before or after menstruation. Exceptions are urgent cases when it comes to the life and death of the patient. The most common intervention is the so-called curettage of the uterus or cervical canal.
It is carried out with metal tools. At the end of the procedure, the entire uterine cavity turns into one continuous wound. Hence the pain, which can last a long time. Nausea is also characteristic. Often after manipulation, the temperature rises. Perhaps an indication of the symptoms of general intoxication of the body.
Installation of an intrauterine contraceptive. It affects the state of the uterus in the most unfavorable way if the spiral is not installed correctly. Firstly, there is a constant trauma to the hollow organ, hence the pain and discomfort. Nausea can also be caused by oxidation of the spiral, if it is made of low-quality materials.
Uterine fibroids. Causes constant nausea and pain in the projection of the uterine structures. In most cases, myoma nodes are not prone to malignant transformation, but can grow to substantial sizes, compensating for the surrounding tissue and causing problems such as infertility, menstrual irregularities.
Therefore, you need to carefully monitor your own general condition. Myomas are localized in the muscle layer of the organ, therefore it is difficult to diagnose with routine methods. Treatment is required in order to normalize fertility.
Cancerous tumors. Unlike fibroids, they are characterized by rapid growth, infiltrative distribution (they grow through the tissues and destroy them). They are able to quickly metastasize, that is, create secondary foci of neoplastic lesions.
Unfortunately, uterine cancer is found in the later stages, when treatment is already ineffective. It all depends on the patient's care. On the other hand, the development of a tumor of a hollow organ is relatively rare, because this reason is unlikely.
Endometritis is an inflammation of the endometrium, the inner lining of the uterus. The causes of the development of the disease are always or almost always infectious. The autoimmune or allergic nature of the pathological process is possible. Symptoms: pain in the uterus, nausea, vomiting, vaginal discharge, discomfort during urination, and some others. Conservative treatment is carried out with the use of drugs of several pharmaceutical groups.
Endometriosis This disease, during which the proliferation of cells of the functional layer of the uterus occurs and their spread beyond the normal anatomical lesion. The ovaries, cervix, vaginal canal, etc. are affected. The pathological process is accompanied by severe pain, nausea, vomiting, dyspeptic symptoms are possible.
Polyposis. Polyps are often asymptomatic, but this is not always the case. With large sizes of tumors, they make themselves felt due to the mass effect. In addition, such formations can transform into cancer. You need to delete them in a timely manner.
The prolapse and prolapse of the uterus, infectious lesions of the pelvic organs can also cause pain. Including sexually transmitted diseases: gonorrhea, syphilis, genital herpes, etc. All possible pathological processes must be differentiated and delimited from each other during objective diagnosis.
However, far from always it is a question of diseases. Perhaps the development of pregnancy. However, not in all cases there is a delay in menstruation. It can also be about other factors, such as an ectopic pregnancy, a frozen pregnancy.
Symptoms of the main diseases described can be systematized as follows.
- Pain in the projection of the uterus. As a rule, of medium intensity. The developed pain syndrome testifies in favor of active processes, including purulent ones. Accompanies the patient constantly or almost always. The nature of discomfort is aching, pulling, burning, shooting. With a purulent lesion, a tying, throbbing nature of the pain is possible. Unpleasant sensations intensify during a period of physical activity, with a change in body position, at the time of intimacy. Pain in the normal course of the process is minimal.
- Menstrual irregularities. It is characterized by dysmenorrhea (severe pain during menstruation), oligomenorrhea (minimal amount of blood discharge), or vice versa, menorrhagia (excessive menstrual bleeding). Possible lengthening of the period of menstruation (opsomenorrhea).
- Nausea. If, during menstruation, the stomach hurts and is sick, you need to look for the causes among the above. Nausea appears occasionally. This is a troubling manifestation that may indicate a pregnancy, which the patient is not yet aware of.
- Changing the nature of fertility. The patient often becomes infertile or cannot become pregnant for a long time. This condition is caused by the main pathology.
- Discharges of an uncharacteristic type during menstruation and immediately after them. Usually watery in nature, without color and odor. Purulent exudate with infectious lesions is possible. With candidiasis, the discharge is white, curdled.
Symptoms are not specific enough. An objective diagnosis is required to establish the cause of the problem.
As soon as pain begins in the uterus, you need to go to the doctor. You will need a consultation with a gynecologist. At the initial appointment, the specialist conducts a thorough oral survey, identifying and fixing all complaints in writing.
Subsequently, this helps the doctor determine the tactics of research. It is also important to collect an anamnesis, that is, to identify those diseases that the patient has suffered or is suffering at the moment. It is necessary to approach the diagnosis carefully, the following specialized studies are prescribed:
- General blood analysis. Usually gives a typical picture of the inflammatory process with high white blood cell counts, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). Possible eosinophilia.
- Biochemistry of venous blood.
- A smear from the genital passages, including from the cervical canal for further bacteriological culture (on nutrient media).
- PCR diagnostics. It makes it possible to identify traces of the genetic material of viruses in the bloodstream.
- Ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs.
- MRI (in extreme cases).
The list can be expanded, everything is decided at the discretion of the doctor. You may need colposcopy, hysteroscopy.
If there are no clinical signs of organic damage to the pelvic organs, they speak of idiopathic pain. Usually they have a natural, physiological character. It is also important to check the patient for the onset of gestation.
Therapeutic measures are aimed at eliminating the root cause of the pathological process. But you need to approach the treatment wisely. If we are talking about pregnancy, you can only make it worse. Therefore, before conducting therapy, a thorough and comprehensive diagnosis is necessary. Most often, conservative therapy is performed using:
- Anti-inflammatory non-steroidal origin. They are used to stop inflammation.
- Corticosteroids. They are used for the same purposes, but they are used in extreme cases.
- Antibacterial drugs, antiviral, antimycotic agents. Depending on the nature of the pathogen.
- Topical antiseptics.
Surgical and minimally invasive treatment is carried out strictly according to indications, with tumors, endometriosis, and other pathological processes. In cancer, chemotherapy and radiation are also prescribed.
Pain and nausea during menstruation are a characteristic sign of many pathological processes. A thorough diagnosis and treatment is required if an illness occurs. Otherwise, they talk about a variant of the physiological norm, therapy is not required. It is important to be especially careful and attentive already at the stage of initial diagnosis. Perhaps this is about pregnancy.
Why do you feel sick during your period?
Algomenorrhea - the so-called painful menstruation, characterized by nausea, cramping or aching pains in the lower abdomen or lower back with a return to the hips, upper legs. This problem is common. Nausea and dizziness during menstruation cause various changes in the body, necessary so that a woman can normally endure and give birth to a baby. To accomplish this task, cyclical changes occur monthly in her body, known as the menstrual cycle, the average duration of which is 28 days.
When the body prepares for pregnancy in the second half of the menstrual cycle, premenstrual syndrome (PMS) develops, in which psychoemotional, vegetovascular, metabolic and endocrine (hormonal) disorders occur. Even before menstruation, this causes periodic pain in the lower abdomen, increased appetite, and mood changes.
During the adjustment, fluid in the body is retained. Because of this, the mammary glands swell and swell, abdominal pain appears, and the volume of circulating blood increases. The amount of cerebrospinal fluid (cerebrospinal fluid), which occupies a tenth of the brain, also increases. It protects the central organ of the nervous system from mechanical influences, maintains constant intracranial pressure, and provides water-electrolyte homeostasis.
An increase in CSF causes an increase in intracranial pressure. This is a dangerous condition that can lead to mental disorders, impaired speech, reflexes, coordination, even a stroke. To prevent this, the brain gives the order to get rid of excess fluid. Hence the vomiting and urges for it - nausea on the first day of menstruation or in front of them, sweating, frequent urination.
An increase in CSF is not the only cause of nausea before menstruation. During this period, the amount of the neurotransmitter serotonin, known as the “hormone of happiness,” increases. He takes an active part in the transmission of nerve impulses, affecting blood coagulability, improving food digestion, and relieving pain. During ovulation, serotonin increases the pressure inside the follicle, which helps release the egg. In addition, the neurotransmitter affects the contraction of the uterus, fallopian tubes during childbirth.
Prostaglandins can provoke nausea before and during menstruation. This is one of the varieties of mediators that transmit signals from the brain to various organs and systems. In particular, they are involved in the menstrual cycle. When menstruation begins, the brain through mediators sends the uterus an order to contract to push out the remnants of the exfoliated endometrium.
Unlike hormones, prostaglandins do not have a specific focus. Some of them, instead of moving to the uterus, enter the nearby intestine, ordering it to contract. This leads to bowel movements, often to diarrhea. In some women, increased intestinal activity leads to nausea during menstruation. Prostaglandin activity is also a cause of pain. An increased level of these substances before and at the beginning of menstruation causes the uterus to contract actively, due to which, with severe spasms, blood circulation is disturbed in it.
Elevated cranial pressure, prostaglandins, serotonin are the cause of nausea during menstruation, and their effect at this time increases. For example, prostaglandins affect the muscle, nervous tissue, and circulatory system, because of which the muscles in the lower abdomen become hard, the vessels expand, and blood clotting decreases. An increased number of these mediators reduces the production of gastric juice, which is why food, especially salty and rich in spices, causes vomiting and nausea.
Nausea and vomiting during menstruation can be triggered by other causes. Among them:
- Uterine displacement, its slight deformation. During menstruation, the organ enlarges, so even a slight shift back causes compression of the nerve endings, which the body reacts with nausea during menstruation. The problem is characteristic of young girls and women who have not given birth. In most cases, the problem disappears after the birth of the child or with age.
- Taking hormonal birth control pills and drugs that affect the level of hormones in the blood. These drugs cause a hormonal imbalance, one of the symptoms of which is nausea and dizziness during menstruation, nervousness, headaches. In addition, drugs contain many chemical components that are toxic to the body, to which it reacts with nausea, trying to get rid of them by vomiting.
- The use of tampons. Sometimes toxic shock occurs, which is caused by poor-quality materials or bacteria, in most cases staphylococci. When these microbes are on a tampon, they begin to multiply actively, releasing poisons, which, when entering the bloodstream through microcracks, cause a shock state. This is manifested by nausea, vomiting, dizziness, loss of consciousness. This reaction is associated with improper use of a tampon (for example, too long being in the vagina), and an increased concentration of staphylococci in the body.
- Pregnancy. In some women, menstruation does not disappear in the first months of pregnancy, which is manifested by nausea, scanty discharge, poor appetite.
- Ectopic pregnancy. The egg, although fertilized, was not fixed in the endometrium, but on the fallopian tubes. When the fetus grows, it will provoke their rupture, which can cause death. The only way out is abortion.
- Inflammatory processes in the reproductive system.
- Pathological reasons. Diseases of the digestive, cardiovascular, endocrine, nervous and other systems can worsen during menstruation, manifesting itself as nausea and vomiting.
- Physical strain during menstruation.
What may accompany nausea during menstruation
Painful periods are manifested not only by nausea. Menstruation may be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- cramps, pulling, cramping pains in the lower abdomen, lower back, hips,
- pallor or redness of the skin,
- fever (hyperthermia),
- bloating, increased gas formation,
- excessive sweating
- rashes on the skin of the face,
- anxiety, nervousness,
- diarrhea (diarrhea), vomiting,
- increased susceptibility to odors.
It is urgent to consult a doctor if uncomfortable sensations cause suffering, do not pass after the end of menstruation. Abundant, strong and prolonged discharge, temperature, chills, fever, severe itching, pain and pain during urination should alert. This can signal serious pathological processes. For example:
- Abundant discharge during menstruation can talk about uterine fibroids - a benign tumor on its outer or inner wall. Menstruation in this case is accompanied by severe pain, which provoked inflammation or pressure of the tumor on the uterus. To eliminate the problem, it is necessary to undergo examinations, after which the doctor will decide on the need for surgery.
- Persistent pulling pain in the pelvic organs can talk about infection of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, bladder. The main reason is bacteria, among which chlamydia (cause chlamydia), gonococcus (the cause of gonorrhea). After determining the cause of infection, the doctor prescribes antibiotics aimed at combating pathogenic bacteria. Ignoring the problem can cause infertility, so you should definitely pay attention to the unpleasant odor, the unusual color of the discharge (black menstruation).
- Sharp pain in one side. Ovarian twisting is possible, which leads to difficulty in blood circulation (among the reasons is a cyst). Urgent medical intervention is necessary, otherwise the pathology will lead to the extinction of ovarian function.
- Severe cramping that does not eliminate the usual painkillers, heavy and prolonged bleeding, pain during sex can talk about endometriosis. With this disease, endometrial cells grow and go beyond the uterus. If the disease is not treated, it is difficult for a woman to become pregnant, in some cases it is impossible.
- Severe pain during menstruation can be a consequence of the installation of intrauterine contraceptives. In this case, it takes time for the spiral to take root in the body. If the pain lasts for a long time or appeared suddenly after the intrauterine device was established long ago, an ultrasound scan should be done to determine in what condition it is. Perhaps it needs to be fixed.
- Cramps in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting are often accompanied by the development or exacerbation of diseases of the digestive system.
Dizziness and nausea during menstruation can indicate not only the problems of the reproductive system. Anemia can provoke algomenorrhea, when hemoglobin in the blood decreases due to blood loss. This leads to oxygen starvation, heart palpitations, taste disturbances, smell. Cervical osteochondrosis leads to a violation of the blood supply to the brain. With menstruation, the situation worsens due to swelling of the tissues, compression of the nerve endings, blood vessels in the region of the vertebrae. This is manifested by dizziness, nausea, vomiting.
Alena Matetskaya (Tretyakova)
Psychologist. Specialist from the site b17.ru
How how. Go to the doctor! The gynecologist is called. He looks, what is the problem and prescribes treatment. You have a mess with hormones, you need to adjust
This is bad. It is urgent to the gynecologist. I, too, suffered for a very long time from such hellish pains. She didn’t go to work for the first 2 days, took time off, as she was in a terrible state, could not get out of bed. Vomiting, nausea. There was a mess with hormones, and there was also severe inflammation of the appendages. All cured. I'm not suffering anymore. I was shocked when after treatment there were the first periods without pain, vomiting, nausea. I didn’t know that this could be. Now only a little pulls the lower abdomen these days and that’s all. Before, I even got to tears, it was so bad. So the author ran to the gynecologist, so as not to start this business.
"And how do you fight this?"
Girl, you ask such a question, as if such menstruation is the norm.
You need to see a doctor.
to the doctor! but just do advise you to drink "nemisil" - a special powder for such cases.
nemisil as an antibiotic, from a cold, antipyretic, they should not get carried away.
The author, I had painful periods with fainting at the age of 17, donated blood for analysis - it turned out, hormonal disorders. So to the doctor, such your condition is not the norm. It’s normal when just the stomach and lower back hurts, even if it hurts a lot. And nausea and vomiting are already too much. It’s strange that mom didn’t tell you that.
I have regular, but the pains were hellish until the first sex - on the first day of menstruation. then normal. gynecologists had many times, they didn’t find anything in me. Now, after I lost my virginity, then I remember the first time they went a month with almost no pain. now there’s no sex, it’s become painful again, but not like it used to be — I remember last year just do the vomiting on the first day — that’s where the horror was. Now it just hurts Pts very much and then incredible fatigue attacks - that I would lay down and sleep. for pains I take "I took" (from spasms) + Indomethacin is for this - these are candles, very cool, it’s just that the body apparently got used to Brahl and doesn’t really react. I am afraid of these seizures and therefore take both drugs at once. they do not interfere with each other. everything is fine with me, I have had such strong pains since I was 9 years old - as the menstruation began. for 14 years, gynecologists would have definitely found something. but no, just such an organism. the author, you would be to the gynecologist. if you have it all the more during all periods so. I have only the first day. then, generally, painlessly. on the first day, this egg, as I understand it, comes off - here's the pain from it. and then everything should already be ok. and don’t listen to mother. I just fainted at school once — too, dad didn’t want to understand what’s the matter, sent me pushing me to school.
How how. Go to the doctor! The gynecologist is called. He looks, what is the problem and prescribes treatment. You have a mess with hormones, you need to adjust
all the same, and vomiting and nausea, and pain. went to the doctor said: "as you give birth, everything will go away" we'll see.
my periods go with thick and bad?